What is VET Student Loans?
From 1 January 2017, VET Student Loans will be implemented. This is a new student loans program that replaces the current VET FEE-HELP scheme, to give eligible students access to quality higher level VET qualifications, particularly those students who could not otherwise afford to pay upfront.
Am I Eligible for VET Student Loans?
To receive a VET Student Loan, you must:
- be an eligible student
- be studying an approved course
- be studying with an approved course provider
- apply to the government using the approved form, and
- confirm your engagement and progression to continue to access the loan throughout your course.
To be an eligible student, you must meet ALL of these criteria – further detailed below.
- an Australian citizen, or
- a qualifying New Zealand citizen, or
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder, who is usually resident in Australia.
- Your FEE-HELP balance (the amount of your FEE-HELP limit you have left) is more than $0.
- You are enrolled with an approved course provider in an approved course and have enrolled in accordance with the application requirements.
- You are studying the approved course primarily at a campus in Australia.
- You have been assessed by your approved course provider as academically suited to undertake the approved course on the basis of either:
- providing your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- providing evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); OR
- displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
In addition, your approved course provider must reasonably believe you show competence in completing the course.
- You meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements.
- You have a Unique Student Identifier(USI) or are otherwise exempt.
- You have given the required documents to your approved course provider and submitted the loan application form by the first census day no less than two business days after enrolling.
How do I apply for VET Student Loans?
Prior to submitting a request to VET Student Loans, students must read the VET Student Loans student information booklet before they sign and submit their request for a VET Student Loan assistance form.
Further information about VET Student Loans may be obtained by contacting Oxygen College on 1300 195 303 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org